Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Grandma's Buffalo Chip Cookies

I cherish a hand-written card containing the ingredients and directions for baking one of my favorite cookie recipes from my grandmother, Katie Doshier. I remember asking her for the recipe and she ran down to my house (I was living across the street from my grandparents at the time) and wrote it out for me on a pink index card. Her cursive is perfect and proper. 

She has been gone over a decade and each time I see her hand-writing my heart swells as do the tears in my eyes. My entire family has fond memories of Grandma's many different cookies and during the holidays we get together to recreate the amazing tastes and smells that used to come from her kitchen. These cookies are just too good not to share with everyone. Enjoy!

BUFFALO CHIP COOKIES
from Allie Schroder to Kay Doshier (what she wrote on the card).

1 lb melted, cooled butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
4 cups flour, sifted
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups quick oatmeal
2 cups crushed cornflakes
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
6 oz. butterscotch chips

Cream melted butter, sugars and eggs, vanilla and mix well. Sift flour and baking soda together and add to the butter/sugar mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. For 6 inch cookies make 2 oz balls and flatten with the palm of hand or fork. Makes 30 - 32 large cookies. For smaller cookies, make a 1 inch ball. You will get 6 - 7 dozen of the smaller (normal size, really) cookies. Bake until golden brown at 375 degrees. 

Golden brown - I usually check them after about 8 minutes. I'm bad about using a timer.


No comments:

Post a Comment