Sunday, April 22, 2012

My sister Katie is eleven years younger than me and lives in New York with her husband and nine month old baby boy, Sawyer.  The night before her wedding day I was writing notes for my maid of honor speech and it dawned on me that she was never coming home. I don't know why it took until that night to realize it but for whatever reason that's when it happened. When she was younger Katie attended college in Santa Barbara, studied abroad in Australia, lived in Reno with our folks a while then moved to Boston where she met Ethan. 

Our relationship has evolved from big sister/little sister to just sisters and a single day does not go by that I don't realize how lucky I am to have her. 

Sister

Over a decade apart we are
And I was more like a mom to you for years
Holding and comforting you
And wiping off your tears
Now we are older
And a new relationship is there
A best friend, my sister
So very deeply I care
You are married now
And live too far away
I realized you would stay there
On your beautiful wedding day
How cruel that this happened
Just when it got so good
I think I took us for granted
I never really understood
What it meant to have an equal
From the same family tree
Someone who knows what it means
To be you and to be me

No comments:

Post a Comment