Saturday, March 31, 2012

Brain Injury Walk for Thought


In 1996 my brother was in a rollover automobile accident and sustained a Traumatic Brain Injury.  He was 20 years old at the time and studying to be an air traffic controller in the US Marines in Yuma, Arizona.  Erich spent about one year in the hospital in a coma, he slowly awakened and learned how to walk, talk and eat all over again. He is truly a miracle. Throughout his recovery Erich has maintained his sense of humor and his artistic abilities. He paints and draws and has even been highlighted at art shows in Reno and sold several pieces of art.  He has very typical effects of a brain injury: limited physical mobility, short-term memory problems and the lack of a filter when speaking or acting at times (which can sometimes be entertaining but also get him in trouble). He has lived with my parents since he was released from the hospital and recently moved with my mom to Roseville, California. 

Recently I realized that quite a bit of my time, thoughts and stress has been revolved around my other brother and reacting to the issues he has been dealing with. I have been focusing a lot of negative attention which when I think about it has been happening a lot the past couple of years. So…I decided to be proactive and take a day to put positive attention on my brother Erich and honor him and all that he’s been through.  My mom and aunt came in from out of town and seven of us spent the morning in the rain getting information and resources that could benefit him and my mom.  Erich had a great time grooving to the music! 

Next year we plan to do the walk again. I already told Erich to start working on a logo and I will create t-shirts for Team Erich 2013. Can’t wait!

Special thanks to my husband Tom, mom Josette, aunt Tricia, daughter Kim, son Max and especially my little brother Erich for being here today!!!


3/31/12

2 comments:

  1. Shellyne, I don't check my Facebook everyday and sometimes I skim through the posts. I am so sorry that I didn't see your website earlier. Congratulations on your walk for your brother! You are such a kind soul. Cathy

    ReplyDelete